UTMB 2018

UTMB 2018

Race day awoke to a mixed and deteriorating forecast, and two route minor changes texted to us by the organisers.  I managed to get some fitful midday sleep which in itself was a big improvement over last year, got kitted up and got to the start a full 90 mins before the off, to make sure I got a good position - not because I wanted to go out fast but because I didn’t want to get trampled!  Given it was raining, there were only a handful there and I ended up right behind the pen reserved for the elites.  Learning from experience I’d brought a camp chair, extra layer and a delicious snack prepared by my daughter....

The time to the start passed quickly as the atmosphere built, I found myself smiling with anticipation and gratitude knowing the adventure we were about to be setting out on, the incredible environment we were in, and how well prepared I was - I felt really confident. Those of us who had been organised enough to be there early were pretty robust in dealing with those who tried to push in late, although I did relent when I spotted that one was the legendary Brit Debbie Martin Consani (and she went behind me anyway)

Once we got going, runners flooded past me all the way to Les Houches - although I didn’t look at splits until Champex Lac, a full 80 miles later, they would later reveal I was fractionally slower to the first summit of Le Deleveret than last year - however that was the only time all day I was behind.
I worked steadily through a rainy and cold first night, focusing on holding back the effort, running technically well, staying fuelled and looking after the body.  


Keeping it chilled, literally, on the Arete Mont Favre

It was a huge effort not to push too hard so early and I had to constantly fight the urge. As I got closer to Courmayeur it was clear that the nutrition strategy that works well for me racing in the UK was just not working in the Alps - the mountain fuel and gels were going down fine but the Clifbars were not, even though I was only eating half of one every 2 hours.  After a rush to the bathroom and some Imodium at Courmayeur I asked my crew Rob to swap out all remaining bars for gels, which sorted the problem.  I also started using the caffeine gels and made sure I took them religiously every 2 hours, per the plan.  Even though I wasn’t looking at the splits I was smack on my plan and half an hour up on 2017, moving steadily up the rankings from the 600’s to the 400’s.  I was climbing well through Bertone, Bonatti and the Grand Col Ferret, with the exception of the very highest altitudes where I struggled. Certainly when the trail pointed flat or downhill I was running well and gaining, as was the case all through the long descent through La Fouly.  At this point I was often running with Carrie Craig, who had paced Leg 4 of my Bob Graham in June, which was great.  Carrie kept getting ahead of me by being super rapid through the aid stations, well on the way to a stellar result of her own.

I had not looked forward to the climb to Champex, which I had found tough on previous occasions, and I was really suprised to see the house that marks the top of it....shortly after I saw Rosie and Georgia too which gave me a huge lift, and swapped from the faithful Hoka Mafate to the faster and more aggressive Hoka Speedgoats, with blissful dry socks!  I was a few hours up on 2017 and a bit ahead of my 33.45 schedule but Champex was the point I had always planned to start pushing.  Straight away I was flying past runners down to Plan de L’Au and up the Bovine climb.  I kept focusing on looking after myself, saving the legs, keeping warm and fueling. I took a huge chunk of time out of the plan to Triente, nearly surprising my crew but they were on the case.  


Cracking on at Triente....

A quick stop and up the horrendous Les Tseppes switchbacks - really hard and a bit of a low point, but I just kept moving.  The first part of the descent to Vallorcine is lovely and flowing, as the head torch went on for the second time.  Another super quick stop and I was cracking on - by now well ahead of plan and smashing last year, as well as up to 170th. The diversion under Tete Aux Vents was a nightmare - horrendous tree roots and blocky rocks -  I got quite negative but pulled it together and told myself everyone was hating it and I should own it.  Sure enough I took loads of spots up to Flegere, where I was 154th.  This was the point in 2017 where I couldn’t really move and just leaned on the poles, this time I was straight through the aid station with no stop and chasing more places - I got 5 on the descent into Chamonix to move into the top 150 overall.  

Georgia and Rosie suprised me by being up at 1.15 to run the last 100 meters with me again, and I repaid them by not crying this time!  I was just ecstatic - the absolute best I could have performed.  There were problems and mistakes - there always are running 100 miles, but I accepted them and dealt with them quickly when they happened.  


It was so good to have the girls with me again, and Kate, Rob and Chris were an awesome crew.  Ian Sharman, Shane Benzie, David Thunder and Rupert Bonington of Mountain Fuel  - it wouldn’t have been possible without you.  Now it’s time to put the feet up properly - thanks everyone for your support and messages, really do appreciate them.


Rob.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Probably not an imposter - Lakeland 100 2019

Spine Race 2020